Wednesday, October 1, 2008

A moment of reflection

I have to admit that the upcoming election has pushed me through a range of emotions. I have been discouraged by the prospects for our country. I have been hopeful that some sort of change in leadership will be positive for our country. I have been angry at the bashing that passes back and forth from party to party. I have debated in my own mind, and heard others share for whom and why they are voting. As I did my devotions tonight, I felt like God has shown a light on my choice for America's next president. Without saying who I am voting for, I feel compelled to share my reasoning for my choice. I refuse to try and persuade anyone to vote one way or another. Each person should choose as they feel led. However, as I read 1 Timothy tonight, a passage struck me, and it is the reason I am finally making a choice to vote for one person over another.

Here it is:

1 Timothy 2:1-3

"I urge, then, first of all, that requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone --- for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in godliness and holiness. This is good, and pleases God our Savior. . ."

I feel like God is showing me that a choice for peace, is a choice for Christ. What would Jesus want us to consider when selecting a candidate. I think that in our tumultuous times, choosing peace is what Christ would do above all. So that is the vote I will make. It will be a vote for peace.

3 comments:

Sharing Life said...

I struggle with the same thing. Neither party seemed to bring the best candidate (s) to the ticket. I'll be voting via write-in on the ballot. I will never pass the vote since it's a privilege many don't have. However, I don't have to affiliate with a specific party. Another great thing about the privilege to vote! :)

Molly said...

Awesome post, Sam! The right to vote comes with huge responsibility. It is also a touchy subject sometimes! Thank you for your thoughts!

Abby said...

I think that's the best we can do - pray and reflect and come to a decision that feels right. No candidate is perfect, though many will have you believe there is only one way to vote as a Christian. I believe God can use all people to make a difference in our world.

Great post!