Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Matthew 12:34



 You brood of snakes! How could evil men like you speak what is good and right? For whatever is in your heart determines what you say. - Matthew 12:34


Have you ever listened to small children sing songs? Have you ever noticed their words? No matter the song, they sing what they know. They sing what is familiar, and what is in their heart. Here are some examples:

"I'm stinky and I know it"

"The snakes are high, the water's rough"



So much of my day even my past couple weeks comes back to this verse. I often wonder what is going on in someone's heart when I hear the things that come out of their mouths. I was just appalled and hurt and overwhelmed today by what I heard pouring out of the mouths of the people around me. Some Christian words worse than those that I heard from a stranger, but with what purpose? If our mouth speaks what is in our heart, then where are the words that Jesus would use? I can't presume to know someone's intent when they do or say things, but I think about how I would handle the situation and its always so different. By no means am I perfect, but I wake up each day hoping to do no harm and in an ideal world, have none done to me. So let's not push and bully and talk behind each other's backs. Let's lift each other up and let the words from our mouths be more innocent, less hurtful, and more encouraging.

I know for sure that when I'm thinking positive and feeling positive, I am way more apt to be speaking positively. I'm making a conscious effort to unearth the crappy stuff in my heart and get back to the good stuff.  I urge others to do the same despite unwelcoming circumstances.  Let go of the stink surrounding you and push forward to the good stuff.  Life is better that way.

No comments: