Friday, January 25, 2013

Gun control hits home

As all of you may know, I struggle with the casual banter about and "funny" posts both for and against gun control.  It turns my stomach and makes me shudder.  Every time I see the "hilarious" pro gun images, all I can think about is my mom.  And I wondered how to articulate why this issue is so anger inducing for me.  So I did a little research on the internet, and this seemed to sort of hit the nail on the head.  Please bear in mind that it is an editorial article so, while it contains facts, the facts are being used to argue one person's point.  I needed it for the numbers though.  Please take a look at this article if you want, and see how the presence of a gun in a domestic violence situation increases the odds of a woman dying.

 http://www.stltoday.com/news/opinion/columns/the-platform/editorial-domestic-violence-and-guns-make-lethal-combination/article_eaf7cf5f-ca77-5ef8-bd68-cacf4c694b6c.html

 I'm not asking you to agree, but I just want people to realize that guns make it easier to kill people, and not just bad people. I fully support American's right to bear arms, but I don't see any harm in enforcing more stringent background checks and laws that protect women/men/and children from domestic violence.  I think that state laws are able to enforce it more practically but when states fail to do so there needs to be another way to keep people safe.

This article also illustrates the role of guns in domestic violence murders.


http://www.safenest.org/blog/article/?id=88&a=comments
If you don't want to read it then don't, but ignorant comments will be deleted so don't waste your time.






Domestic violence resulted in the death of my mother.  Had a gun not been present in the home, I truly believe she would still be alive today. 


No comments: