Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Don't take it personal. . .ly

Ok. So I have to admit. I have a tendency to be very hard on myself. I am performance oriented when it comes to my job, and I tend to anticipate "well done"s from those that work with me. I'm not conceited. I am a people pleaser though. I go out of my way to offer help when I am ahead of the game on my tasks, so I do get a lot of feedback for doing so. I also have a tendency to read into constructive criticism and helpful suggestions as negative remarks. I don't do this with everyone I work with, but I tend to take some people's help as personal criticism. I don't think its meant to be taken that way, in fact, I believe that the people I do this with the most, are the ones that would want me to feel that way the least. I'd like to hope so anyway. I guess I am oversensitve. How do you fix that though? What can I do to keep from taking suggestions as negativity? Why am I so insecure about these things? I don't really tend to do this with any other areas of my life. Perhaps it has something to do with balancing my career as a mom, with my career at my workplace. At least I am recognizing its not other people. I guess I'm just struggling with how stop the sensitivity, so that I can take the suggestions as help and be grateful. Suggestions are recommended. . .

1 comment:

Lucas said...

Are you asking me to give you suggestions on how you can get better at receiving suggestions? No thanks. I want us to still be friends.

I know a booby trap when I smell one.