Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Cursed from generation to generation

I've been reading through the old testament, and I have noticed more than once, God's promise to curse people far past their own generation. He promises to curse them from generation to generation. I've heard pastors speak on cycles of sin that permeate through families from generation to generation. I see it in my own family. It frightens me. Being one of the very few in my family choosing to walk in the Christian faith, I struggle with all that has happened within my family. Lying, cheating, stealing, alcoholism, drug addiction, murder. When and where does it end. I feel like my family is a microcosm of the world. My brother is going through hard times with his wife, and she is filing for divorce. He is making statements that sound so familiar and scary. So similar to what ran through my ears four years ago. I am powerless to stop anything from happening, and can only pray that he gets right with God and himself. I guess I need to come to terms with the fact that I cannot break the cycle for someone else, only for myself and my family. I see the difference in my life from my brother and my sister. I'm hopeful for them, and continually praying that things can change for them, but so much of it lies in their choices. They know the truth, but its a matter of choosing to do what they know is right. I can't tell them what to do. I can only pray.

2 comments:

Hendryx2003 said...

I think family matters are a time when the saying-"Let Go and Let God" rings so true. While you feel like you have a partnership with God in your own struggles it feels even more helpless with family. But, just like your problems, turning to God and allowing him to work and accepting his will is huge. I will keep you in my prayers as well.

Lucas said...

Yeah Sam, for me it is different. Most of my family is somewhat normal, but my brother is breaking a "good cycle" and he is a litte crazy and struggles with addiction. There is nothing I can do, and it is scary and frustrating. You're not alone.

You should blow off steam by hanging out with me and Charizard.